Counting words is hard.
When I started writing this blog, I was using the word count function that’s built into WordPress. But it doesn’t update instantaneously, so I switched to wordcounter.net — and got counts that were 6 to 10 words higher.
Yesterday’s post was 297 words according to WordPress, 303 on wordcounter.net, 303 in Microsoft Word, and 308 in TextWrangler. No, that’s not counting markup — at least, as far as I know.
The “100 words” thing is a gimmick and I probably won’t do it forever. But for now, well, it’s 100 words by somebody’s count.
(Also related to yesterday’s post: holy crap, are my calves ever sore.)